- The world’s most sustainable destination
The world’s most sustainable destination
By choosing Gothenburg you will take one step towards a more sustainable world. We’re the sustainable choose for your event, meeting or visit.
For the sixth year in a row, Gothenburg is the world’s most sustainable destination according to the Global Destination Sustainability Index. In the autumn of 2022, Gothenburg was once again named to the leading position in comparison with 70 other cities participating in the ranking. There are many reasons why Gothenburg deserves to be the world’s most sustainable destination.
- 92 per cent of our hotels are environmentally certified.
- Landvetter Airport has held the highest level of environmental accreditation – “European Airport Carbon” – since 2011.
- Around 95 per cent of public transport in Gothenburg runs on renewable energy.
- There are 1000 “Styr & Ställ” city bikes to rent at 60 different locations in the city.
- All restaurants that are part of the Taste of Gothenburg association have environmental diplomas or are in the process of certification.
- All meat that is served by the municipality must be organically farmed.
- In 2011, the Port of Gothenburg received the Shipping Award for “Regional Environmental Protection Contribution”. The port was the first in the world to provide onshore power to vessels at berth.
- In autumn 2013, Gothenburg became the first city in the world to issue a green bond for investments that benefit the environment and the climate.
- Gothenburg is a green city, partly thanks to its closeness to forests and parks, but also to the compact layout of the city.
- Gothenburg is a small city where almost everything is within walking distance.
- The tool “Klimatsmart Semester” (in Swedish only) was created with several partners. It calculates the climate impact of the visitors’ journeys according to various parameters. The tool also provides tips on sustainable tourism and alternatives to reduce its environmental impact.
- Leadership Award, Global Destination Sustainability Index six times in a row, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021 and 2022.
- European Capital of Smart Tourism 2020
- One of Europe’s 100 most climate-neutral and smart cities 2022
- One of the winners of European Capitals of Inclusion and Diversity Awards 2022
- Best Sustainable City Stay, Lonely Planet 2021
- Climate City of Sweden 2015.
- Access City Award 2014.
- Climate Municipality since 2012.
- Fairtrade City since 2011.